Make a jar full of these delightfully ghoulish felted eyeballs this Halloween! They’re easier (and more economical) to collect than real eyeballs, so why not make a bunch?
These eyeballs are felted from wool roving, with the iris and pupil added as needle-felted details. This easy project uses just a little bit of wool and requires only a basic understanding of needle-felting so it’s a great introduction to felting. And, just like collecting real eyeballs, they’re completely addictive. You’ll have a whole lab-full in no time!
Materials:Wool roving (in white, iris color of you choice – I used brown, orange, blue and green – and a few wisps of red* and black)
Supplies: Needle-felting needle, dish gloves, dish soap, hot water
1. Fill your sink (or container) with hot water and a squirt of dish soap.
2. Pull off white wool roving into a large wisp, about the length and width of your hand.
3. Tie the wool in a loose knot and tuck in the ends.
4. Put on your dish gloves and dunk your wool knot into the hot water and agitate by rolling around into a ball shape. Apply some pressure and after a little while (about five minutes) your ball will start to “felt.” When the wool fully felts, the result is a dense, hard ball of wool, with very little give. Be patient. Each eyeball will take a few minutes to get to this stage.
5. Add small wisps of white wool to the ball to even out the shape, and fill in surface cracks and fissures. Continue dunking and rolling until you have a round ball.
6. OPTIONAL FOR BLOODSHOT EYEBALLS: Add a small wisp of red roving to one side of the eyeball. Dunk and agitate to felt this red wisp onto the eyeball.
7. Take a wisp of colored wool (this will be for your eyeball’s iris) and shape it into a flat circle/disk shape. Place the iris on the eyeball (over the bloodshot portion, if you did that step) and needle-felt the iris onto the eyeball.
8. Dunk and felt the eyeball to further felt the iris onto the eyeball, rolling it round.
9. Take the tiniest wisp of black and roll it into a ball. Carefully needle-felt this pupil onto the center of the iris.
10. Dunk and felt the eyeball to further felt the pupil onto the eyeball, rolling it round.
* Optional. The red wool is for making bloodshot eyeballs.
Posted on 10/27/2011 at 12:00 AM